DE&I COACHING, WORKSHOPS & CONSULTING
I partner with you to jump start and sustain a culture of inclusion across three phases of engagement:
Prepare leaders to lead with an inclusive mindset and align DE&I principles to organizational vision and values:
Leaders learn key DE&I principles and easy to implement action steps to increase their confidence in leading by example to foster a culture of inclusion. Topics include:
- Benefits of DE&I to individuals and organizations.
- Equity, diversity and inclusion foundational principles.
- Barriers to equity and inclusion (e.g. unconscious bias).
- Inclusive leadership skills needed to bridge between diversity and inclusion.
- The role of leaders in culture transformation and easy ways to develop and demonstrate inclusive leadership skills.
Leaders craft personal “why” statements and identify immediate action steps to put equity, diversity and inclusion principles into practice.
We shift the DE&I conversation from individual leadership to alignment with organizational vision, values and strategy. Questions discussed include:
- How do DE&I principles align with organization’s vision, mission and values?
- What is a business challenge or opportunity we are currently facing that could benefit from integrating more diverse perspectives and ideas into decision-making?
- How do we bring DE&I principles to life within the company, with our customers and in the community and what does success look like?
Leaders develop organizational DE&I vision statement/guiding principles; identify areas of focus and outcome metrics; determine immediate next steps and communications plan to support transition to Phase 2 and broad employee engagement.
Make it easy and rewarding for everyone to embrace DE&I principles and contribute to a culture of inclusion:
The belonging and inclusion survey allows employees to voice opinions and share feedback and provides a barometer of current company culture across three key components of an inclusive and thriving workplace:
- Objectivity (whether employees believe that they’re treated fairly)
- Belonging (whether employees feel truly welcome)
- Growth Mindset (whether employees believe they’re given the chance to grow.)
Targeted employee interviews and focus groups can also be incorporated to supplement the survey. Survey results and actionable insights are discussed during a leadership workshop to identify longer-term strategies and immediate next steps for employee engagement and communication.
The online course packages content covered in the people leaders workshop in easy to digest micro-videos. On demand access allows employees to watch on their own time and is ideal for organizations with large and/or dispersed employee populations. Course includes an online study guide and physical workbook to support learning. After completing the course, employees engage in small group dialog sessions to discuss reflections from the course and belonging and inclusion survey results, practice inclusive communication skills and deepen meaningful relationships with colleagues. Example discussion questions:
- What dimensions of diversity play the greatest role in how you define yourself and how others see you?
- When have you witnessed or experienced implicit bias?
- Why do DE&I principles matter to you and our organization?
- What can we each do to strengthen a culture of belonging and inclusion?
Leaders should play an active role in the sessions to lead by example and demonstrate commitment to DE&I.
In partnership with a working team of employees, use survey results and employee input to establish infrastructure to support ongoing employee engagement and contribution to an inclusive workplace culture. Example approaches include establishing Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), DE&I councils, discussion groups, dialog partners, etc.). Consultation, tools and resources to support strategy implementation are provided.
Embed DE&I into Daily Operations
Apply a DE&I lens to strategy, planning and decision-making throughout the organization:
Review procedures, policies, challenges and opportunities with a DE&I lens among key functional teams (e.g. recruiting, performance management, business development, marketing, vendor management, customer service, etc.). Determine what aspects of functional operations to keep, stop or start to support DE&I vision and guiding principles. Develop goals, success metrics and plan to build capabilities and/or adapt operations to achieve desired outcomes.
A DE&I lens is embedded into functional team operations by establishing processes for tracking, analyzing, reporting and discussing metrics and outcomes to inform decision-making. Regular check-in sessions with leaders, functional teams and/or employee engagement teams provide opportunity to review progress and results, share successes and work through challenges as a DE&I mindset is practiced, strengthened and embedded into the way business is done. Check-ins can be facilitated as teams or on a 1×1 basis with individuals.
A sustainable culture of inclusion starts at the top with leaders modeling inclusive behaviors daily. For leaders who want to strengthen their ability to lead DE&I with courage and authenticity, I work with you on a 1×1 or small group basis to strengthen an inclusive mindset as a leadership competency through a process of self-reflection and practice. This option is ideal for executives and leaders at all levels of the organization as well as D&I council leaders and employee resource group leaders.
Coaching starts with taking the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI), the premier assessment of intercultural competencies – your ability to effectively bridge differences and create an inclusive environment – across 5 stages of the competency continuum:
- Denial (avoid differences)
- Polarization (judgmental towards differences)
- Minimization (focus on commonalities)
- Acceptance (appreciates differences and commonalities in self and others)
- Adaptation (can shift perspectives and behaviors in appropriate and authentic ways).
Assessment results are used to establish personal goals and development plan. Regular coaching sessions help to hold you accountable for implementing actions in your personal and professional worlds as well as ensure you strengthen inclusive leadership competencies as you put principles into practices.
Over the course of the engagement, we will establish specific DE&I outcome metrics and key performance indicators to track based on your vision articulated, areas of focus identified and strategies developed. Examples:
Why Work With Me?
I’m passionate about simplifying and demystifying DE&I. In my humble opinion, we often make building a culture of diversity and inclusion much harder than it needs to be. Based on my experience leading diverse teams in five different countries and leading DE&I for a Fortune 100 company, DE&I is all about embracing an inclusive mindset rooted in curiosity and compassion towards others and a broad definition of diversity that is inclusive of all dimensions that make everyone unique. These values and competencies can be sustainably embraced by all organizations – even with limited resources or little representation of visible diversity – and by individuals at all levels within the organization.
The best way to get to know me, my POV and capabilities is to review my bio and DE&I blogs and interviews below:
- Read my blog, Steps to Build a Diverse and Inclusive Culture by Starting with Mindset First.
- Listen to my BizTimes podcast interview, Let’s Simplify and Demystify D&I.
- Watch my webinar, How to Jump Start a Sustainable Culture of Inclusion
- Download my DE&I Kick Start Kit for Leaders